Don't Lose Focus

This term, I decided to explore photography to demonstrate expression by doing portrait photography. Before choosing my independent study, I was contemplating if I should continue photography or do something a bit different like surreal face painting. While contemplating my options, I thought it would be a good idea to do surreal face painting, and take it a step further with professionally documenting my work by taking photos. My goal throughout this independent study was to improve the way I shoot and become more comfortable with snapping pictures and editing them. Additionally, I wanted to learn some skills and techniques when it came to face painting. Instead of using a regular canvas I wanted to see what it would be like to use the face as one instead and to become familiar with face painting in a different sense. I was really excited to learn new things about these two different kinds of art, but I was also excited about reaching out and working with people I know and new people that I wasn’t so familiar with.

Before this independent study, I had past experiences with photography before because I would work with my mother. I was inspired to do portrait photography because I found it interesting how an expression can send a message to someone in so many different ways. I took this interest for the other reason for being able to meet and work with so many unique and intriguing people. I also wanted to be able to get out of my comfort zone a bit more as well. I usually take shots of objects or still life and never really focused on the face and body language of a person. I thought this would be a good idea, so I can gain more experience and knowledge of how to work better with others and to create a finer interaction.

When I first started face painting, I wasn’t really sure what I was doing. I did prior research to make sure I was getting the proper materials because I have never used face paint as a medium. When first using the face paint, it was super difficult and not what I expected at all. First, I tested it on my sister and failed miserably. So, I decided to do some more research and actually practice ahead of time on myself. I slowly got the hang of it while watching videos on Youtube. When I got my first model, I was a bit nervous because I knew I wasn’t using my own face this time. It was something new and a bit harder than using my own face. Luckily, my first model was a friend of mine because I was a bit indecisive and new to what I was doing. Now that I am more experienced with face painting, I still think that I need a lot more practice, which I believe is pretty expected. In the future, I want to be able to test out some more advanced looks to practice new skills and techniques.

Overall, this was a very interesting and fun experience and something that I really want to continue to do as a side job, hobby, or project for myself. By doing this, I am not just taking pictures and painting peoples faces, but I’m creating expression within the person and within the photo. This is a great opportunity for me to work with different mediums and expand my knowledge with art. Something that I really enjoyed the most was working with people who were willing to help me out. I also really enjoyed editing the photos and giving them a certain theme to create different moods and tones to them. I am super grateful to have this as one of my classes because without this independent study I wouldn’t be that motivated to get out there and start this portfolio of mine. My goal for this project is to actually continue this project and largely expand my portfolio with unique looks, props, people, and expression.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beaver And Raccoon

Refined Apparel

Diddley Bowie