Independent Study

In this independent study, I chose to grasp my focus on different art professions that I was interested in. I decided to this because I have always loved art, and want to choose one of these professions as a career. As I have gotten older I noticed that I don’t exactly know about the different art careers that are out there, so that is what I have been doing for this independent study. At first, I started to take a look at different careers that involve art to get a better understanding of what I am actually into, and what I want to focus on.

Throughout this independent study, my goal was to pick a profession that I wanted to focus on since I didn’t really know what I was specifically interested in. My plan was that when I picked the professions I wanted I would speak to different people who are in that field. Throughout, this independent study it was actually very difficult to find working artists who were willing to speak to me about what they do.

As I started to take a look at different art professions I narrowed some of my options or interests down. I first started to look at portrait art, art directing, special effects makeup, set design, and creative directing. When researching each career I looked at the education that is needed and the salary that each job offers. I wanted to choose at least three careers paths. I decided to take a deeper look at special effects makeup, art directing, and set design.

I chose special effects makeup because I think that it is just super interesting to see the different layers and steps it takes to achieve the look the artist is trying to go for. I usually see special effects makeup mainly in films, music videos, and plays. And I always wondered what is the process for the whole transformation. When I was researching special effects makeup I learned that there’s a lot that goes into the education. Such as theatrical make-up classes through an associate's degree program in cosmetology. Also, on-job training is best for experience, and job opportunities when it comes to special effects makeup.

When I researched art directing, I noticed that it was a lot of things combined into one thing. In short terms, art directing is like set design and graphic design combined together. Within art directing, there is a lot of mediums that you are able to work with. I acknowledged that art directing contains many skills needed. Most of what an art directing does is making sure the client is happy with the outcome of a project. These projects can be for film, advertising, marketing, publishing, the internet, campaigns, etc. To become an art director you would need to obtain a bachelor's degree. Depending on their industry, art directors may have several years of work experience in graphic design, photography, illustration or other fields. Some art directors pursue a master's degree in fine arts or business administration to prepare for a leadership role.

Lastly, I chose to study set design. Set design is basically staging and set design. Set design is mostly intended for films, advertising, theater, etc. I found set design interesting because I think it’s such a creative job that not many people pay close attention to. Within set design, I noticed that there are a lot of details that go into it. Such as, construction, layout, actually designing the staging, props, etc. When becoming a set designer to important to have a lot of experience a record of your projects.

Overall, I discovered that there are many types of professions out there. With each profession, there are so many skills and knowledge that are needed. By narrowing down my options with the different career paths that I might want to take I think I was able to find my actual interest in art, and the types of things I would want to do in the future. This independent study was beneficial for me to take time and explore my options. Throughout this process I found art directing to be most interesting to me. I think that art directing would be a great way to be able to work with different media and different people. Personally, I think it gives would me more opportunities, and I wouldn’t isolate myself in one type of job. With working as an art director I will be able to venture into different types of projects like music videos, film, advertising, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beaver And Raccoon

Refined Apparel

Diddley Bowie