My Truth

In class, “Who Am I?” we have been talking about Truth (The reason why I capitalize the "T" in "Truth" is because Truth has importance and has a meaning just like how our names have the first letter capitalized) and what it means to us and what is our own personal Truth. We would have class discussions about our own experiences that have impacted us as a person. We have been also reading a book called "Sophie's World" which relates to the class many ways. We have been also studying some philosophers, such as Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, etc. We have been talking about their allegories and how they might connect to us. We even went on an exciting FE to the Goodman Theater to watch the play "The Blind Date." The reason why we went there is because it talks about Truth, which is what we are focusing on in class. We had a special guest come in named Katie Moody who is a dog trainer. We had her come in so she can teach us about behavioral actions that connect to how we figure out our Truth. In my podcast I explain my Truths and my own personal beliefs. I talk about labels and stereotypes, but I'm not going to say too much so you can go ahead and get into the podcast for yourself.



Script:

In class we had an assignment where we had to describe ourselves. It asked about my ethnicity of course, I answered that I am Puerto Rican. It got me thinking that there are many stereotypes of being Puerto Rican and because of that there are people who dislike them. When people ask me “what are you?” and I answer I always get the response “I didn’t expect that”. I learned that people have labels because of what anyone is. Usually stereotypes are taken into a negative mentality. Puerto Ricans are taken to be loud or being obnoxious but, I believe that I am the opposite I’m the opposite. I’m pretty sure I am not the only one because many people have labels because of what they are and are taken into a stereotype.

What I believe in is being equal as a society. Currently, in the world you may know how other people are being treated and how much chaos is happening. I believe that everyone should be fair as a community. No one should be treated differently just because of their race, religious belief, or their sexual orientation. I believe that the generation today are capable for change and are able to do many things and stand up for what we believe in.

I did an interview with my mother and she said: “Society back then was much simpler now, currently everyone is just looking out for themselves and it isn't a community where everyone communicates well and where we all work together. Most people are harsh and selfish.”

An experience that I have once had was there was a time at my old school where someone had asked me what am I. Obviously I told them what I am. They literally said “you aren’t” and they were just sure that I wasn’t Puerto Rican. We practically had a full on debate. They were saying how I don’t sound like a Puerto Rican, how I don’t look like one, and how I don’t act like one. It honestly really offended me because they were claiming that I am not Puerto Rican and they acted like they were so sure they even asked “Are you sure you are Puerto Rican?”. To me it’s like who says that to someone at all.

I believe I have always thought this way but now as I’m getting older it’s a bit different. I feel like once you get older your perspective changes and you kind of figure what you believe in and actually understand why you believe in what you do and why it is so important to you. This reminded me a philosopher that we have been studying in class named, Socrates. Socrates was referred to a midwife which someone who helps you give birth but, Socrates was known for someone who helped you give birth to your truth. I feel like as you get older you get influenced by many people and your truth gets revealed to you over time.

Society today is always looking at differences that we all have as people. People are labeled because of their religious beliefs or race and that’s not okay as a country we should be able to express ourselves and not be afraid to share our differences. Everyone is unique in their own way and as a community we should all be treated the same no matter what. But supposedly that doesn't matter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beaver And Raccoon

Refined Apparel

Diddley Bowie