The Stages Of A Hero

In this term of Stories, we have been learning about the stages of a hero's journey. We dove into what a hero's journey means and their effects they have onto a story. The hero's journey is also called a "monomyth." There are seventeen stages of a hero's journey that each character or each person goes through, throughout their adventure. Each stage is an important key to the adventure to continue onto the story and to add to it. The stages can be represented as a step farther into the journey, and as it continues, you can see the "hero" growing into someone different or into someone who has more experience in a certain topic.

For this action project, I had to choose a fictional "hero" and a real-life "hero." For the real-life "hero", we had to conduct an interview and ask them about their hero's journey from whatever experience they have had. For my fictional character, I chose Carl Fredrickson from the movie Up. The reason why I chose Carl Fredrickson as my fictional character is that he can be looked at as a hero in different ways. The real hero I chose was my mom. The reason why I chose her was that when she was very young she basically grew up by herself. She was surrounded by many that she shouldn't have been influenced by, but she decided to not follow others and to separate herself from that environment. She did the same for me and my sisters.

When analyzing the two heroes that I chose I noticed that there are some differences and similarities. Of course, the movies UP is a fictional story, but the characteristics and actions that Carl Fredricksen and my mother take are semi-similar. The reason for that is they both are going on this journey not just for themselves, but for others too. When going each stage for my heroes, I noticed that each step is very important; it makes up the adventures and concludes it to where the character has started and ended, and what they have learned or taken from their experience.



The Interview:

SR- When did you decide you wanted to move away from the environment you lived in?

MOM- I decided when a friend of mine, her name was Carmen and I was a friend of her daughter. She had three daughters. And um-she asked me to move in with her. I was close to her family and she took me as her daughter as well too. She taught me many things and I felt home and that's where I stayed for a good while.

SR- How did you start to move away from that environment?

MOM- I started working and I continue working really hard, to have enough you know income. To provide for me and to help her as well too. I always tried to manage a way to work harder to have a better income and tried to you know to provide for myself and my needs.

SR- What challenges did you face along the way?

MOM- As far as challenges. It almost seems like everything was a battle. It was basically on my own. You know just trying to do my best, and a lot of the time I would take other people's experiences and learn from that and avoid that to happen or take it and do the same thing. It was pretty much mainly doing what was right, so as challenges, yes, because I saw so many things that shouldn't have happened. I didn't want to be in that environment, so I would pretty much; not hiding but I would go to another area, a better area in which it would benefit, me, myself. I mean pretty much work and trying to teach myself, and I would really take advice from other people, and take it with me and learn from it.

SR- Was there a person you were able to depend on through your journey?

MOM- Not really, not really, because when I moved in I was still on my own. Trying to move forward. I was not going to stay there. It was about moving forward, so as depending on someone not really, no. Everything was pretty much on my own. Doing everything and that's how I learned to be independent. It's more about making it happen all by myself, and that's how it all happened. I started working, I continued, I matured, but depending on someone; I did not.

SR- What did you learn from your experience?

MOM- For what I learned from my experience was that no matter what environment you are in, even if you are by yourself, you can do it. Whatever you want to do you can. You can do it. No one is holding you back. It's on you, what do you want? And I would ask myself that. What do you want? What would you like? It was hard, it wasn't easy, because like I said I was not dependent on nobody. Nobody knew what I was going through. Everything was on my own, so it was more like work, survive, provide for myself, continue going further, and every year would get better. So my experience that I have learned is that you can do it. You want to do something? You can do it. Just whatever how you grew up or the environment you were in; it didn't matter. You can put that in your past. You can put that to the side, and you don't have to follow it. Go somewhere else that's better. You can do it. That's my experience that I have learned from my journey.

SR- How do you use your experience today?

MOM- I share my experience. I share it with other people that might be going through the same thing or semi. I share my story to some people, and the more I share it I realize that we are responsible for our own lives. We are the ones who make that changes. We do not expect anyone to do it for us, or wait on somebody, or depend on somebody. It doesn't work that way. It's about you, and throughout these years I have done it, I did it, and I continue to do it. Just being a humble person, and like people, and being the person that you were meant to be, and who you are supposed to be. It doesn't matter how you started, or what your life was before. I share my story with a lot of people and they understand. Some people may say "Oh I was brought up this way in my life, and this is the reason why I am this way." No, I'm sorry. You change that. You change it. You don't want to bring the past to the present to the future. You leave that alone, and you continue going further, and make better for yourself. That's how I share my story with everybody. They appreciate it, and a lot of them see it as a light, and they start changing their lives too.

SR- Thank you for sharing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beaver And Raccoon

Refined Apparel

Diddley Bowie